Before You Create That Whatsapp Group Chat!





Recently, I was busy doing some house chores, when my phone vibrated, it vibrated just once i knew it was a message, so I ignored, thinking I would check it later. Drifting back to the task at hand, suddenly my phone kept vibrating per seconds. Now this got my attention, it’s probably an urgent message most likely on my WhatsApp. So I hurriedly ran to my phone, you know I was saying to myself you never can tell, it could be a message from President Trump approving my Visa! 😆Lol
Curiously i picked my phone, typed the password, I could feel the adrenaline in my breath, maybe it’s the alert for the miracle money I was expecting, the kind of alert that once you receive it, your phone battery will die instantly, because it has never experienced that kind of Alert before. I smiled at my daydreaming thoughts. Disappointment written on my face as I looked at the screen of my phone, it was a WhatsApp message not an Alert SMS. Mtcheww I hissed, clicking the WhatsApp icon to view the message, I was dumbfounded at the content of the message. I had to sit down, shaking my head from side to side, NO THIS IS NOT RIGHT!

 I exclaimed. I have just been added to two WhatsApp group; the first one is fix your Gadgets, the second Nigeria MMM for love.

I was fuming with rage, like seriously who is the Nigga the added me on these groups? By the way what kind of WhatsApp group name is that 😕? I checked the participants on the groups, to my surprise no familiar face or number. Off course it’s possible i know the person that added me on the group, but most likely I didn’t save the number. I have nothing against WhatsApp or BBM groups, its advantages are enormous to ignore.

If for example you are planning a bridal shower, instead of going through the stress of chatting people individually or calling one person to another, you can create a group chat on WhatsApp or BBM with all the participants added on that group. It’s like having a conference call, everyone is present online at that time, you can share ideas, and suggestions on the platform. Information is shared easier and faster. But it becomes an issue when the group chat is not used for the purpose it was created for. A good example is when you create a group chat for Church activities, then you have people posting whatever they see on the internet, copying and pasting news and images that are not really edifying to the body of Christ. Some even post links that they themselves don’t know what the link is about, and when someone out of curiosity clicks on that link, the person would probably need to be baptized over and over again 😨.

 I also think it’s important to inform people about a group before you add them, simply because it’s a Courteous thing to do, even if you are their boss or in a higher position and you are creating the group out of necessity. A simple call or message informing the person would really be appreciated. Having in mind that the person is probably on one or more than one group chat already. Prepare the person beforehand and if possible inform the person of other participants on the group just to prevent any unpleasant surprises. You would be surprised someone can say if xyz person is on that Group, then I won’t be a part of the group. Trust me I have heard that one.

I don’t want to wake up to see like fifty unread messages on my phone. Truth be told these group chats messages drains phone battery. I remember I joined  a very active group, and when I say active, I mean very very active, messages rolling in every minute, as one person is asking questions, another person is replying, another person is contradicting, another participant is advising, OMG!  Messages, images, and memes flooding the group, every second I was receiving notifications, before I say Jack Robinson my battery is on 15%,  if I remove myself from this group they would say am proud!
It even makes it hard for someone to catch up with the subject  matter, when over 20 people have commented, you are lost, you don’t even know where to come in, a quite observer like me would just be mute, and then I would be tagged a Snob.

Let’s face the Fact here, not many people know how to communicate much in a group chat, a lot of people would prefer to chat privately than on the group. I think if you find such people just respect their views, don’t tag them as being snobbish.  So before you create a group chat bear in mind that not everyone would like it, not everyone would participate, some people are extremely busy, trust me if you work in a call center, you would not have time to reply chats or even pick calls.
So please don’t get upset when you create a group chat and you are not getting a positive response, trust me it  drains battery and sincerely some people might just not really like it, if it’s very important call them and ask for whatever information you need. I do that to my bible study class group, as a leader in church I create group chats and I ensure that I inform people before adding them on the group. And if for some reasons some people are not participating well, I send a personal message to them or call when I urgently need their response or acknowledgement.

Most importantly, if you are a participant on a group chat, take note that you are not the only one on that chat, mind your language, mind what you post on the group, also bear in mind the reason why the group chat was created, so you don’t destroy the effort of the person that created the group chat. Hmm, I rest my case 😉.

Regards,

DammyInspire…



Comments

Popular Posts

The Life We Didn't Live

MICROWAVE RADIATION LEAKAGE!

New Media Publishers, Bloggers, PR Consultants & Social Media Influencers at #OPANMC2018